Presidential decision on forming committee to rehabilitate great Umayyad Mosque in Aleppo
DAMASCUS– President Bashar al-Assad on Monday issued Presidential Decision No. 18 for 2012 on forming a committee to carry out maintenance and rehabilitation works of the Great Umayyad Mosque in Aleppo.
The committee is headed by Governor of Aleppo , Mohammad Wahid Aqqad, and it consists of seven members.
The decision set December 31st, 2013 as the deadline for completing the maintenance and rehabilitation works on.
The committee members are:
- Aleppo Governor Mohammad Wahid Aqqad, Chairman
- Director General of Military Construction Establishment Gen. Riad Issa, member
- Director of Antiquities and Museums in Aleppo Yousef Kanjo, member
- Head of the Antiquities Institution Mohammad Qejeh, member
- Engineer Marwan Hamzeh from Engineering Department at Aleppo University, member
- Engineer Fadel Mzayek from Engineering Department at Aleppo University, member
- Engineer Mohammad Mesbah Baqi from Engineers' Syndicate in Aleppo, member
- Engineer Mohammad Wahid Haddad from Aleppo Endowments Directorate, member
Endowments Ministry, Levant Scholars Union Denounce Attack on Great Umayyad Mosque in Aleppo
The Ministry of Religious Endowments (Awqaf) on Monday said that the attack on the Great Umayyad Mosque in Aleppo constitutes an attack on the sanctity of religion and a dangerous indicator in the life of the nation.
In a statement, the Ministry said that this attack is part of the continuing attacks on Islamic sanctities according to a methodical plan devised by Israel and the US.
Similarly, the Levant Scholars Union denounced on behalf of Arab and Islamic world the attack perpetrated by Al Qaeda on Great Umayyad Mosque.
The Union also lauded the decision by President al-Assad to form a committee to rehabilitate and restore the mosque.